Thursday 17 February 2011

Returning the Gem to the Gem

One my earlier projects involved going around the city noticing things - just random stuff, big or small things that struck me for whatever reason-  and making a note of these. After a week or so of this, I went back to the sites to photograph them, and then worked on the resulting photographs. This is the last leg of the process: returning the images to the original sites. This the Gem returning back to the Gem:


 I went out in the middle of the night feeling like a criminal skulking in the corners and got it on all wrinkly in my nervousness, so I went back in broad daylight and re-did it. Nobody paid a blind bit of attention to what I was doing - I'll definetely stick to daylight hours in the future!

 Here's the original:


7th Oct 2010, 9.05pm. The Gem, Mixed Media on inkjet print, 2010

I was never too sure why I was doing these images, apart from vague political motivations - dereliction, dole queues etc feature in them. But having completed this step it is starting to make sense -  a  process of trying to take ownership of and putting a bit of me back into a city that has never really felt like home.

One down, eleven to go!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting Project, K. Would now love to know whether there are reactions to what you are doing. Maybe you should leave a pen and post-it for people to react ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonja, yes, I thought about putting in a link for the blog.. maybe I will do that going forward, though i suspect most people go right past without paying any attention to their environments..

    ReplyDelete